China’s Coronavirus Death Toll Hits 213, Nearly 2,000 New Cases Confirmed

0

The nationwide death toll in China’s coronavirus outbreak has risen to 213, with nearly 2,000 new cases confirmed, the National Health Commission said on Friday.

In its daily update, the commission said 43 new deaths had occurred as a result of the virus, all but one of them in hardest-hit Hubei province where the virus first emerged. 

According to AFP, the latest numbers indicate that the daily death count and the overall spread of the virus within China were continuing to grow steadily, despite unprecedented quarantine measures imposed on Hubei a week ago and other preventative steps nationwide.

On Thursday, Chinese health officials had reported a nationwide total of 38 new deaths, all but one of them in Hubei.

The National Health Commission said there were 1,982 new confirmed cases, bringing the total to just under 10,000.

Another 102,000 people were under medical observation with possible symptoms of the respiratory ailment.

The World Health Organisation had already declared the respiratory ailment as a public health emergency of international concern. 

The organisation’s Director General, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus at a press conference on Thursday, called for concerted effort to contain the virus.