The Federal Government has set up a 12-member committee to unravel the mystery surrounding the abduction of 110 students of the Government Girls Science and Technical College, Dapchi, Yobe State.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed disclosed this in a statement in Abuja on Tuesday.
The minister said the National Security Adviser, Maj.-Gen. Babagana Monguno (rtd), convened the committee.
He said the committee, which will be chaired by a military officer of the rank of Major-General, comprised one senior provost each from the Nigerian Army, the Nigerian Navy and the Nigerian Air Force.
He said other members of the committee included representatives of the National Intelligence Agency, Defence Intelligence Agency, Nigeria Police Force, Department of State Services and Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps.
The minister said the committee also included two representatives of the Yobe State Government and a representative of the Office of the National Security Adviser.
He said the terms of reference of the committee included ascertaining the circumstances surrounding the abduction of the girls.
He said the committee would confirm the presence, composition, scale and disposition of security in Dapchi and in GGSTC before the incident.
The minister said the committee would suggest measures that could lead to the location and rescue of the girls and recommend measures to prevent future occurrence.
He said the committee, to be inaugurated on Wednesday, is expected to submit its report by March 15.
The Federal Government had earlier released names of the missing girls.
The list, which the minister said was handed over to him by the Yobe Government, contains the name, age, and class of each of the 110 students.
Out of the 110 missing girls, eight are said to be in JSS1, 17 in JSS2, 12 in JSS3, 40 in SS1, 19 in SS2 and 14 in SS3.
The minister disclosed that the girls’ ages range from 11 to 19 years.